Research & Publications
Education: Columbia University, Ed.D., Nursing Education; Ed.M., Nursing Education; M.S., Adult Nurse Practitioner; B.S., Nursing; The Pennsylvania State University, National Research Service Award Post-Doctoral Fellowship
Research Interests: Palliative and end-of-life care, family caregivers, heart failure, age-friendly health care, qualitative research
- Big Ten Academic Alliance
- Fellow, Academic Leadership Program, 2013-2014
- American Academy of Nursing
- Fellow, Inducted October 2012
- Columbia University, Teachers College
- Nursing Education Alumni Association
- Nursing Scholarship and Research Award, 2012
- Hall of Fame, Inducted 2011
- May Ayers Burgess, Endowed Nursing Scholarship, 1987
- Eastern Nursing Research Society
- Suzanne Feetham Nurse Scientist Family Research Award, 2012
- Mentor Recognition, 2011
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- Research Abstract Award, 1999
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Honor Society for Nursing, Inducted 1988
Caregiver Skills Training
Geriatric Workforce Enhancement
Interdisciplinary Person-Centered Care
Leadership & Nursing Management
Practice & Regulatory Standards
Strategic Planning & Implementation
Masters in Educational Leadership, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Bachelors of Science in Nursing, Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY
Honors and Awards
Sigma Theta Tau International, Kappa Tau Chapter
Vermont Outstanding Teacher, A.C.S.U.
Research & Publications
Dr. Wardecker received her Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of Michigan in 2016 and subsequently began training as an NIA-funded T32 Postdoctoral Fellow in the Center for Healthy Aging at Penn State. As an Assistant Professor of Nursing with multidisciplinary training in Psychology, Public Health, and Biobehavioral Health, she pulls from theoretical frameworks in these fields to investigate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) older adults’ psychological and physical health outcomes.
Ph.D. – University of Michigan (Psychology)
B.S. – The Pennsylvania State University (Psychology)
- Promoting health equity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults
- Examining health disparities and individual differences in health (e.g., age, gender, and sexual orientation)
- Biomarker measurement
Wardecker, B. M. & Matsick, J. L. (2020). Families of choice and community connectedness: A brief guide to the social strengths of LGBTQ older adults. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 46(2), 5-8.
Surachman, A., Wardecker, B. M., Chow, S.-M., & Almeida, D. M. (2019). Life course socioeconomic status, daily stressors, and daily well-being: Examining chain of risk models. Journal of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 74(1), 126-135.
- Wardecker, B. M., Matsick, J. L., Graham-Engeland, J. E, & Almeida, D. M. (2019). Life satisfaction across adulthood in bisexual men and women: Findings from the Midlife in the United States (MIDUS) study. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48(1), 291-303.
- Wardecker, B. M. & Johnston, T. R. (2018). Seeing and supporting LGBT older adults’ caregivers and families. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 44(11), 1-4.