|Date Closing:||open until filled|
The Penn State’s College of Nursing seeks applicants for the Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence (CGNE) Postdoctoral Scholar. Preference will be given to applicants with research interests related to topics of aging, age-friendly care, care of persons with dementia, cognitive impairment, delirium, stigma related to aging and dementia, caregiving, and person-centered care, as well as other aging-related topics aligned with the CGNE mission and research portfolios of faculty in the Center.
Successful candidates will be paired with faculty mentors based on a shared area of focus and interest. They will work directly with research projects of CGNE-affiliated faculty, pursue independent research activities in line with their developing program of research, and engage in professional development opportunities across Penn State. This is a fixed term position funded for one year from date of hire with the possibility for a second year if funding is available. Information about CGNE, our faculty research can be found here https://www.nursing.psu.edu/center-for-nursing-research/research-staff/, and our CGNE annual report may be found here https://www.nursing.psu.edu/cgne/
Penn State’s College of Nursing is one of the largest educators of pre-licensure students in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, with over 2000 undergraduate and graduate students on 13 campuses. Our College is positioned to lead the next generation of nurses and nurse scientists while enhancing the health of all people through quality care and education.
Expected Start Date: Fall 2021
– Nurses (or related field) with research doctorates.
– Demonstrated commitment to scholarship in geriatrics/gerontology.
– Applicant’s area of interest must be aligned with at least one faculty mentor in the Center (https://www.nursing.psu.edu/cgne/areas-of-expertise/)
– Evidence of scholarly productivity including research-based publications and excellent dissemination skills (oral and written). Demonstrated ability to disseminate research in publications and presentations.
– Candidates for this position should demonstrate strong motivation to develop an independent research career.
– Postdoctoral positions open to eligible U.S. citizens and international applicants.
The postdoctoral scholar will:
– Co-create an Individual Development Plan (IDP) with their primary mentor to identify goals, needed training/course work, timeline, outcomes, and planned engagement with other centers/researchers
– Refine career goals and grant development skills
– Extend their research agenda through the writing and submission of early-stage career grant applications, manuscripts, and presentations
– Participate in the primary mentor’s current research initiatives consistent with the IDP
– Submit peer-reviewed manuscripts
– Present at scientific meetings
– Further develop teaching and mentoring skills
– Expand research skills, including methodologic expertise
– Contribute to the College of Nursing within their area of expertise
– Please submit the following materials as PDF documents. Applicants should provide:
– Current CV with contact information included
– 1-2 page research statement including goals over the next 5 years
– 1-2 page personal statement describing: goals for the CGNE postdoc fellowship, interest in expanding or learning new research skills, how interests align with – CGNE and CON, identified primary mentor and alignment with their program of research.
– Copy of 1 published article.
– Letters of recommendation from 2 references. One of these letters must be from the identified primary mentor at Penn State and include justification for the proposed fellowship. All letters should be sent by email from the recommender (not from the applicant) and should speak to the applicant’s scholarly abilities, areas for growth and future potential.
This position requires the following clearances: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check.
Questions should be directed to Donna Fick, Director of the Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org or Janice Whitaker, Administrator of Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence at email@example.com.