In cooperation with the Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence and with support from the Johnson & Johnson Foundation, the College of Nursing has developed a series of free online continuing education modules focusing on gerontology topics. These courses were designed specifically for registered nurses in Pennsylvania who serve a rural population of patients age 65 and older.
Nurses will receive 2 contact hours for each of the following two-hour courses:
- Geriatric Syndromes: Detection and Prevention of Complications
- Healthy Aging and Geriatric Assessment
- Medication Management for Older Adults (also counts for pharmacology hours)
Who Should Participate
- Registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and nurse educators who work in rural outpatient facilities
- Home health care nurses
To Register for Courses
- Create a Friends of Penn State account (see below).
- Send the following information to Heather Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org:
FPS account login (xyz123)
Title(s) of the course(s) you wish to take
- You will be added to the course roster and will receive a confirmation email with further instructions.
To Create a Friends of Penn State (FPS) Account
If you are not a Penn State student or employee, a Friends of Penn State (FPS) digital identity will allow you to securely access a variety of web-based applications and services, such as the online continuing education nursing courses in Penn State’s course management system, ANGEL.
- Click on Create an FPS Account and select the Create an FPS Account tab at the top of the page.
- If you already have an account but have forgotten your password, click here and select the Reset Your FPS Password tab at the top.
- To update your information, click here and select the Login to FPS tab at the top. You will be presented with additional options.
- If you have questions or problems with the FPS website or your account, please send an email to email@example.com.
Getting Started with ANGEL
We will use the ANGEL course management system for classwork and communications related to the gerontology continuing education courses.
- Log into ANGEL using your FPS account.
- Under My Groups, look for the title(s) of the course(s) for which you registered.
For More Information
Education Program Associate
Outreach and Continuing Education
Penn State College of Nursing
The Penn State College of Nursing is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
These programs have no commercial support. Approval of these programs for nursing continuing education refers to recognition of the educational activities only and does not imply ANCC, PSNA, or Penn State College of Nursing approval or endorsement of any product.
The program planners and presenters report no relationship with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest. Several courses were developed in cooperation with the Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence at Penn State.