Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence
The Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence at Penn State is a community of nurse educators, clinicians, and researchers whose leadership is actively improving health care for older adults in America.
Housed within the College of Nursing, the Center was established in 2007 with a mission to prepare a growing number of nurse educators who possess both the passion and the expertise to create the future of gerontological nursing education and practice.
Consistent with this mission, the Geriatric Center offers state-of-the-art graduate programs in gerontological nursing education and research. Many courses are offered online, including a post-master’s certificate in Geriatric Nursing Education. With the advanced videoconferencing technology available throughout Penn State, University Park classes are accessible to students at campuses across Pennsylvania.
Through the College of Nursing, the Centre of Geriatric Nursing Excellence offers:
- Graduate degree programs
- Ph.D. – preparing nurses to teach at the graduate level and to enrich the body of gerontological knowledge that will define the future of nursing care.
M.S. – preparing nurses to teach at the undergraduate level and to disseminate gerontological nursing knowledge across diverse practice settings.
- Post-Master’s Certificate program
- Fully-online Post-Master’s Certificate in Geriatric Nursing Education – helping current nurse educators to retool their knowledge base, consistent with the growing need for gero expert nurse teachers and clinicians, especially in rural areas.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship study
- The Claire M. Fagin Fellowship award, funded by the John A. Hartford Foundation through the American Academy of Nursing, provides support for doctorally prepared nurses to be mentored by one of our center’s renowned geriatric nurse researchers.
The Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence also serves as a regional clearinghouse for gerontological nursing information, training, and other resources.
Listen to the WPSU radio story, “Pennsylvania People: A Portrait of Family-Centered Alzheimer’s Care”
Access the 2010 Institute of Medicine report on “The Future of Nursing” in America.
Learn about funding for CGNE graduate study.
Apply to one of our graduate programs.
View our schedule of upcoming public events.
Contribute to our mission of bettering nursing care for older adults.