Select Page

Dear Friends, 

What a busy month this has been! Our undergraduate commencement was a lovely event. Judy Himes, chief nursing officer at Penn State Health, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, delivered a message on what it means to be “all in” through a series of insightful narratives illustrating what it truly means to be a Penn State nurse. The Graduate School commencement was similarly moving as our master’s, D.N.P., and Ph.D. degree recipients proudly walked the stage. As we closed with the alma mater at each ceremony, many graduates were teary-eyed with mixed emotions of joy, anticipation, and a sense of loss at ending their Penn State student days. The Alumni Society has touched the lives of those graduates through scholarships, awards, and special events. We’ve gained some very strong new members this spring! 

Perhaps commencement was especially moving this year since I share those feelings of anticipation and loss at ending my Penn State career as I move into retirement at the end of June. My service as interim dean for the past year has been a wonderful opportunity! Most of all, I have been privileged to interact with many groups who are committed to the Penn State College of Nursing—people like you! You’ve touched my life as well; I hold deep honor and respect for all of the work that the Alumni Society does for the College of Nursing. While those new graduates and I are moving on, you will hold us in the Penn State family.  

In closing, all I can say is “thank you.” You welcomed me with open arms and warmth. You accepted me as a partner in your work. And, most of all, you exemplified the spirit and values of Penn State nursing in all of our interactions. You are a great bunch and I know that you will welcome Dean Laurie Badzek with the same enthusiasm. Just keep up the great work—you make us Penn State proud! 

With warm regards,

Janice Penrod, PhD, RN, FGSA, FAAN
Interim Dean and Professor
Penn State College of Nursing