Select Page

Bryan Artiles
Summer 2017 RN to B.S.N. Graduate
College of Nursing Student Marshal

Bryan Artiles of West Middlesex, Pa., graduated in August 2017 with a 3.97 grade-point average. In addition to working as an emergency department RN, Bryan, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, provides volunteer medical support services for the Semper Fi Fund, a nonprofit organization that supports wounded combat veterans. He is also a husband and father to two daughters. Bryan plans to become a flight nurse and eventually continue his education to become a nurse practitioner.

“If I had to describe Penn State’s online RN to B.S.N. program in one word, it would be flexible. It was a truly rewarding experience—I was able to maintain my full-time student status, work as an RN, and take care of my two toddlers. The curriculum was challenging, but facilitated learning that will be greatly beneficial as I progress through my nursing career. My adviser, Rachael Lorenzo, was absolutely phenomenal at promptly addressing all of my concerns and keeping me on track with my courses.

“As someone who did not do so well in high school, I gained confidence in the military. At age 18, I worked in an emergency room side by side with nurses and doctors who mentored me and helped me see my potential. Five years with the Marine Corps taught me mental and physical fortitude, an aggressive mindset, and, most important, the value of life. My deployment to third-world countries gave me an appreciation for how truly blessed we are to live in America, where there is endless opportunity. Every day I am grateful to be alive and cherish the ability to live freely, thanks to the men and women who gave their lives for this great nation.

“Many people are afraid to make the leap from military to civilian life, but there is a lot of support out there—including the G.I. Bill, government grants, and numerous scholarships available to student veterans. Take advantage of all the opportunities available to you. Become a success in tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.”